Bring your Gingerbread Man cookie cutter back to life for Halloween.
These Chocolate Skeleton Cookies will disappear before your very eyes, so we suggest doubling this week’s Recipe for Fun.
The Taste of Home provides this spookily delicious recipe:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. gingerbread boy cookie cutter. Place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 7-8 minutes or until set. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, in a small bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar and milk until smooth. Cut a small hole in the corner of a resealable plastic bag; fill with icing. Pipe skeleton bones on cookies. Yield: 3 dozen.
For a twist, or to “kick” it up a notch, we’re going to make Ninjabread Men Skeleton Cookies this weekend.
You can dress Like a Ninja too.