We’re getting ready to celebrate America’s Independence Day with this week’s Recipe for Fun. It’s another easy peasy to cook together with the kiddos. It’ll be fun making and taking these tasty stars on a stick.
- 2 stick butter or margarine
- 1 bag (10-1/2 oz.) Miniature Marshmallows (6 cups)
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal
- 24 wooden popsicle sticks
- 1 tube each: red, white and blue decorating gels
- red, white and blue sprinkles
- Large star cookie cutter
LINE 13×9-inch pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides of pan; lightly grease foil
1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
2. Add RICE KRISPIES cereal. Stir until well coated.
3. Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 15 x 10 x 1-inch pan coated with cooking spray. While warm decorate with alternating rows of red, white and blue sprinkles. Cool slightly. Using cookie cutters coated with cooking spray cut into star shapes. Insert wooden stick into each, if desired. Best if served the same day.
In microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow steps 2 and 3 above. Microwave cooking times may vary.
For best results, use fresh marshmallows. 1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow creme can be substituted for marshmallows. Diet, reduced calorie or tub margarine is not recommended. Store no more than two days at room temperature in airtight container. To freeze, place in layers separated by wax paper in airtight container. Freeze for up to 6 weeks. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.